Do you want to own data platform projects that mean something?
Tesla is searching for passionate Systems Reliability Engineers to do Database Engineering. Join our innovative Database Infrastructure engineering team. Build and support the systems that will fix the World’s energy problems. Make data systems run fast and run reliably so that our cars run fast and run reliably.
Have you read the Google SRE book?
Are you ready to apply those principles to improve database reliability and decrease toil at Tesla?
In this role you will build the next generation data platform to deliver database related services on demand while reducing our infrastructure footprint. You will support the current fleet. You will automate. You will monitor. You will observe. You have solved critical business problems using observability and automation. You passionately build resilient, reliable and scalable databases and tools.
- Figure things out and write down how to get repeatable results
- Write software that can figure things out
- Automate yourself out of a job so we can promote you or teach you something else
- Take responsibility when others fail to
- Be a part of the on-call rotation supporting MySQL, Mongodb, Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL, Kafka, Redis, RabbitMQ, Neo4J and more
- Be an expert in at least one of: MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL, Mongodb, Postgres, Kafka
- Write in python and bash; read and understand go
- Architect and implement highly available and scalable global data platforms
- Automate and build a self-service data platform to deliver database as a service to engineering teams
- Work with engineering teams to design optimized schemas to ensure data consistency and reliability
- Lead efforts to expand our infrastructure and systems across multiple platforms
- Implement monitoring and alerting tools to track system-level and business-level performance
- Do installations, upgrades, capacity planning, data migrations, sunsets across the global fleet of database systems
- Design and implement High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions to minimize database downtime
- Respond to emergencies when it is your turn with accurate technical assessments and solid solutions
- Discover how our legacy systems operate and document paths forward
- Expert in MySQL and one or more of the following: Oracle, Mongodb, Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL, Kafka, Hadoop, Hbase or Hive
- Expert in database and SQL tuning
- Expert troubleshooter
- Authored software to do parts or all of your job
- Strong Shell, Python and SQL scripting to automate DB related jobs
- Familiarity with observability tools such as Grafana, Prometheus, Vividcortex, Solarwinds, Nagios, Icinga, Munin, Cacti, Wireshark
- Proven ability to work independently or as an integral member of a team
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Ability to work with development teams
- Familiarity with low level debugging tools: strace, tcpdump, gdb, lsof and netstat
- Familiarity with splunk
- Expertise in setting up and testing backups
- Expertise in setting up and validating replication
- Write a simple piece of software in any language that does anything