2023—icrunchdata is proud to publish and host the most comprehensive IT job board report in the market sector of Information Technology. Here you will find an overview of emerging trends, information, and insights for this high-growth category of employment in the United States. This IT job board report is taken from a compilation of the best IT job sites, best it job boards, and best tech job boards including our proprietary data, along with interviews with industry experts, and independent research that has been curated by our research team. This compiled research is focused around a particular market sector to bring the most value to those who seek to understand and pursue careers in IT or to hire IT professionals. We will be adding more information to this report as it becomes available, so stay tuned.
Information Technology (IT) is the general term to describe the immense industry of computer technology and computer networks both online and offline, included but not limited to: software, hardware, database, data storage and the retrieval, analysis, communications, insight, and all information created, stored, and utilized from all its functional activities. Undoubtedly, Information Technology (IT) has been the cornerstone to one of the most significant industries known to mankind and in workforce history. In previous decades, the state of Information Technology was primarily focused on performing work more efficiently through leveraging computer systems. This was done largely with hardware and software applications to perform tasks. While that will always be a very relevant aspect of the industry, the attention in the past decade has been more so on making sense of the data resulting from these systems. It raised many data-related questions on how to best collect, store, retrieve, make sense of, protect – and ultimately – make use of data in meaningful ways. That leads us to where we are today with Information Technology as we head into the next frontier.
Further, to say Information Technology (IT) has transformed the world would be an understatement. Rather, it has become the most integral part of the worldwide economy, and it has tremendously impacted every aspect of our lives from the way to conduct business, relate, communicate, and interact with each other and the world. Every job in every industry has been reinvented to include aspects of technology, and professionals around the world are in high demand. There are many considerations and trends professionals need to understand and navigate as they pursue careers in the IT field.
IT has become an integral part of business and industry, revolutionizing the way organizations operate and enabling them to thrive in the digital age. IT encompasses a wide range of technologies and systems that facilitate the storage, retrieval, transmission, and manipulation of data and information. Its applications in business and industry are diverse and far-reaching.
In conclusion, IT has become indispensable in business and industry, enabling organizations to improve communication, enhance data management and analysis, engage customers, streamline processes, and ensure security. Its integration has provided businesses with a competitive edge and opened up new opportunities for growth and innovation.
There are many various challenges facing the IT industry. For example, keeping up with rapidly evolving technologies is extremely difficult for companies and consumers to adapt to and sufficiently maintain. It is difficult to reach and remain at a level of satisfaction as highly optimized and transformed methods of doing business change at such a rapid rate. Industry, and we as a people, are in a constant flux of updating, adaption, reinvention, disruption, and transformation through technology. While this could be considered a good thing, it also keeps companies and consumers constantly off-balance. In addition, we have ever-escalating threats on the security and privacy of every system hosted by any company and government entity. Both security and privacy are important topics that could be deeply explored on their own. Further, one of the greatest challenges is the ever-present and massive talent shortage in the technology industry and in all professional roles of IT jobs. Helping to bridge this talent gap is the primary purpose of our IT job board platform.
In today’s era of digital transformation, it is important to understand the latest talent acquisition strategies. While ATS software and job aggregators have landed themselves at the bookends, the niche IT job boards have richer content and a more valuable audience. In particular, the IT job board remains a highly utilized and effective investment to reach the most desirable pockets of talent by posting IT jobs.
However, the IT job board landscape has dramatically changed over recent years with big players consolidating and seeking alternatives to diversify or be acquired, which has created much disruption among IT job boards and IT job sites, and where to post IT jobs. Here at icrunchdata, we remain nicely positioned and have rapidly evolved our brand and offerings in the Information Technology (IT), tech, and the data-related marketplace. And as talent becomes increasingly more challenging to procure, you will benefit from our next-level thinking and talent solutions that reach your target audience.
Whether you're an employer or job seeker, below you can find easy action steps to get started.
Education and training play a pivotal role in preparing individuals for successful careers in IT. In today's rapidly evolving technological landscape, a solid educational foundation coupled with ongoing training is crucial to meet the demands of this dynamic field. IT professionals need a comprehensive understanding of computer science principles, programming languages, networking, cybersecurity, and data management. By acquiring a formal education and continuously updating their skills, individuals can stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends, ensuring they remain competitive and relevant in the IT sector. Education and training empower aspiring IT professionals to be hired for IT jobs, tackle complex challenges, innovate, and contribute to the ever-expanding digital world.
Learn more about IT education and training.
The job market in Information Technology is thriving worldwide. All sectors including hardware, software, network infrastructure, communications, cloud, analytics, data science, cybersecurity, machine learning, and everything in between is showing demand. The highest level of growth seems to be focused on data science, analytics, and machine learning applications and supporting services. There is no better time to be in a technology field than right now.
Information Technology related careers are still among some of the highest paid in the workforce. When considering a career in IT, there are two compartmental philosophies in direction. First is the pursuit of a technical skilled trade, whereas the job itself has IT duties and responsibilities (e.g., programmer, software engineer, analyst, to name a few). Second is the pursuit of working at an IT or tech related company in a customer support role. The former plays an important role in the development of the various technologies offered by the employer, and the latter plays an important role in the sales, service, delivery, and support of those technologies (commonly known as the business unit side). Both career directions are in high demand and give ample opportunity for advancement, so it comes down to where natural fit exists and personal preference. Salaries and compensation, on average, tend to be a bit higher for the hands-on, technical roles. Both types of IT career directions are typically represented on any good IT job board that has enough diversity in IT job types.
There are numerous approaches to align with your next career move, including social networking, IT job sites, and IT job boards. Here at icrunchdata we are dedicated to being a gateway to some of the best job opportunities in IT. There are numerous top universities who offer excellent computer science, analytics, data science, and technology related degree programs. So, if you’re just starting out, this is a great place to begin. Staying informed on industry trends, top brands, and latest news can be very beneficial for career development. You can also find many IT jobs here by searching for popular titles listed below or customizing your job search. Below are some relevant lists and rankings as researched by our team for IT jobs and related workforce in the United States.
1. Software and Application Development
2. IT Support
3. IT Management and Business Leadership
4. Analytics – Data and Systems
5. Engineering – IT and Data
6. Security – IT and Data
7. Data Science
8. Architects – Data, Database, Applications, and Infrastructure
9. Web Development
10. General Tech Professions
1. IT Manager
2. IT Director
3. IT Consultant
4. IT Analyst
5. IT Specialist
6. IT Project Manager
7. IT Support Technician
8. IT Security Specialist
9. IT Systems Administrator
10. IT Network Engineer
1. Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engineer
2. Data Governance and Compliance Officer
3. Software Developer
4. Cybersecurity and IT Security Engineer
5. Cloud Developer
6. Data Modeler and Data Analyst
7. Database Developer
8. Blockchain and DLT Developer
9. Advanced Analytics Analyst
10. Machine Learning Architect
Check out descriptions for these IT jobs.
2. Cybersecurity: With the increasing number of cyber threats, organizations are looking for professionals who can protect their systems and data from potential attacks.
3. Cloud Computing: Skills related to cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are in high demand as companies migrate their infrastructure to the cloud.
4. Data Analysis and Analytics: The ability to collect, analyze, and interpret large sets of data is crucial for making informed business decisions.
5. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: Companies are adopting AI and ML technologies to gain insights, automate processes, and improve customer experiences.
6. DevOps: Proficiency in DevOps tools and practices, such as continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD), helps streamline software development processes and improve collaboration between teams.
7. Big Data: Handling and analyzing large volumes of data require skills in technologies like Hadoop, Spark, and NoSQL databases.
8. Internet of Things (IoT): As more devices become interconnected, the demand for professionals who can develop, secure, and manage IoT ecosystems is on the rise.
9. Agile Methodologies: Knowledge of agile frameworks like Scrum or Kanban is essential for managing projects efficiently and responding to changing requirements.
10. Mobile Development: With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, expertise in mobile app development for platforms like iOS and Android remains highly sought after.
Information Technology professionals may be paid in many ways depending on the type of employment relationship they have. Most are paid by salary when employed by a dedicated company, while others may be paid hourly when working on contract basis for a variety of companies. Contract IT professionals may work for a consulting firm or agency that services projects for its clients. Either type can be lucrative or rewarding depending on the preference. Below are some average salaries as researched by our team:
19% = Up to $75,000 USD
34% = $76,000 to $100,000 USD
21% = $101,000 to $115,000 USD
12% = $116,000 to $130,000 USD
14% = $131,000 or greater USD
To help you prepare for job interviews, here is a list of commonly asked job interview questions for working in the IT field. Please keep in mind, these are only sample questions.
1. Can you explain your experience in managing IT projects from start to finish, including defining project scope, creating timelines, and ensuring successful delivery?
2. How do you stay updated on the latest IT trends, technologies, and best practices? Can you provide examples of how you have applied this knowledge in your work?
3. Describe a challenging technical issue you encountered in your previous role. Walk me through the steps you took to identify and resolve the problem effectively.
4. In your opinion, what are the most critical factors to consider when implementing IT security measures? How have you contributed to ensuring data and system security in your previous positions?
5. Can you provide an example of a time when you successfully managed competing priorities and deadlines in an IT role? How did you prioritize your tasks and ensure timely completion?
6. Communication is essential in IT roles. Describe a situation where you had to convey complex technical information to a non-technical audience. How did you ensure effective communication and understanding?
7. Collaboration is often required in IT teams. Give an example of a project where you worked closely with colleagues from different departments to achieve a common IT goal. How did you contribute to the team's success?
8. Share an experience where you faced resistance or pushback while implementing new IT processes or technologies. How did you handle the situation and gain buy-in from stakeholders?
9. In your previous IT roles, how did you ensure the reliability and performance of systems and infrastructure? Describe any strategies or techniques you employed to maintain high-quality IT operations.
10. Learning new technologies is a crucial aspect of IT. Can you provide an example of a time when you quickly learned and adapted to a new IT tool or programming language? How did you apply this new knowledge in your work?
Check out answers to these IT job interview questions.
The enormous IT industry and its extensive layers are undergoing constant change and evolution. We are heading into a new era where the surrounding focus tends to be on artificial intelligence and machine learning. IT jobs abound in almost every subspecialty imaginable, and talented professionals and organizations are inventing and experimenting with AI and machine learning to (at first) perform repetitive tasks and applications, then more cognitive decision making will follow. It is uncommon to even have a conversation about information technology that does not also involve AI. The backbone of AI is somewhat traditional from the perspective of infrastructure, but the layers of logic and its ability to process information, learn, and make decisions around that data is what makes AI and machine learning the next frontier. Where this will eventually lead is anyone's best guess, but for certain, there is an enormous amount of potential in artificial intelligence and machine learning to be harnessed and understood.
As you can see, the engineering, development, delivery, servicing, and support of various technologies is quite diverse, and each one comes with its own set of components and considerations. Accompanied with the fact that the IT industry is encountering a staggering rate of growth, there are many challenges and opportunities facing companies, professionals, and the industry as a whole. Thanks for visiting the IT Job Board Index. We hope it adds value and prosperity to the careers of the hardworking professionals in the field and the companies who hire them, and that together, we can support the ever-growing needs of the world. Additional information can be learned by reading our popular related index reports below.
Be sure to check out these other popular related reports by category as published and hosted by icrunchdata.
Reach our highly engaged audience and start building your qualified talent pool today. Learn about pricing and features, select a product, and post your job in minutes.